Positive Displacement Pump
A positive displacement pump makes a fluid move by trapping a fixed amount and displacing that trapped volume into the discharge pipe. Some positive displacement pumps use an expanding cavity on the suction side and a decreasing cavity on the discharge side.
The benefit of a positive displacement pump is that the volume of liquid is constant for each operational cycle.
There are many benefits of positive displacement pumps for varying applications.
- Positive Displacement pumps are sometimes called constant-volume pumps because they maintain a constant speed and flow. Even if the system pressure varies, the flow remains constant.
- Positive Displacement pumps can handle a variety of fluid types: high, low and variable viscosity; shear sensitive fluids; solids; and liquids with a high percentage of air or gas entrainment.
- Their capacity is not affected by the operation pressure.
- They can be more efficient than centrifugal pumps when handling viscous fluids.
- Positive Displacement pumps are able to self-prime.
- They can be designed as a sealless pump.
Positive displacement pumps have a wide variety of applications within sanitary processing markets such as:
- Bakery – Dough, fats, fruit filling, icing, oil, yeast
- Beverages – Beer, fruit concentrate, fruit juices, mash, wine
- Confectionery – Chocolate, cocoa butter, corn syrup, gelatin, sugar
- Canned Foods – Tomatoes, baby food, jams, jellies, mayonnaise, potato salad, pudding, relish, stews
- Cosmetics – Creams, emulsions, jellies, lotions, shampoo, toothpaste
- Dairy – Butter, cream, curds, ice cream, margarine, milk, soft cheese, yogurt
- Dressings – Mayonnaise, other sauces, ketchup
- Flavorings – Concentrates, syrups
- Meats – Broth, fats, gelatin, pet foods, sausage fillings
Process Solutions & Integration offers sales, service, and repair to Positive Displacement Pump from the following manufacturers:
Waukesha Cherry-Burrell brand is synonymous with pumps, valves, scraped surface heat exchangers and dispersion equipment.
Tuthill Cororation has been manufacturing pumps, meters, vacuum systems, and blowers for use in a variety of markets including agriculture, chemical, food & beverage, and medical.
Viking is a leader in the world of positive displacement pumps for use in some of the toughest applications. Their products are utilized in nearly every industry; military, to food and beverage, to chemicals, fuels and plastics – reliably pumping materials that are thin, thick, hot, cold, liquid, solid, etc.
Consult with an Engineer
Call or message us today to learn how partnering with EWS can make your project a reliable success.